Moving to a new Country can be challenging. To make things easier, gather the documents that you will need to enter Canada. You may wish to have your important documents translated into English or French before arriving to make it easier for people in Canada to understand them.
To enter Canada, you will need to present the following:
- A Canadian immigrant visa and Confirmation of Permanent Residence for each family member traveling with you
- A valid passport or other travel document for each family member traveling with you
- Two (2) copies of a detailed list of all the personal or household items you are bringing with you
- Two (2) copies of a list of items that are arriving later and their monetary value
Other documents you may need:
- Birth certificates or baptismal certificates
- Medical and vaccination records
- Marriage certificates
- Adoption, separation or divorce papers
- School records, diplomas or degrees for each family member traveling with you
- Trade or professional certificates and licences
- Letters of reference from former employers
- A list of your educational and professional qualifications and job experience (for your résumé)
- Driver’s licence, including an International Driver’s Permit and a reference from your auto insurance company
- Photocopies of all essential and important documents, in case the originals get lost (be sure to keep the photocopies in a separate place from the originals)
- Car registration documents (if you are importing a motor vehicle into Canada)
Do not pack these documents in your luggage. Keep them with you at all times.
For a smooth transition, remember to bring original documents for yourself and every member of your family, including children. It is a good idea to make at least two copies of every document before you leave.